Biomedical Sciences and Pre-medicine
- Biomedical Science is a broad field of applied biology and related sciences that touches many areas of health and disease. Career opportunities in this field are many. The biomedical science field is largely concerned with uncovering the causes of human diseases either as part of clinical treatment and patient care or research into the cause and pathogenesis of diseases and in the search for lasting solutions. It is also in involved in the general study of pathogens and their properties. Biomedical science is also concerned with the environment and factors that have an impact on the overall health and wellbeing.
- At completion of their programme, students can expect to work in hospitals, university research centers, life science companies, biotechnology and bioengineering companies, pharmaceutical companies, science equipment manufacturers and suppliers and clinical laboratories throughout the health care system.
- Finally, Biomedical Scientists also work for government agencies in a variety of positions in regulatory and oversight agencies, disease prevention and control departments and quality assurance and control of products such as pharmaceuticals, food products and other consumer goods that could have a health impact.
Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
- The Medical Laboratory Technologist, sometimes known as the Medical Laboratory Scientist or the Clinical Laboratory Scientist, is a highly qualified professional trained to work in laboratory settings. Medical Laboratory Technicians help to identify abnormalities (in lab samples) such as malignancies, bacteria, parasites, or genetic abnormalities. Medical laboratory technicians also may assist in blood-typing or other routine blood tests. Graduates in MLT can expect to work in diagnostic labs, doctor’s offices and hospitals.
- To qualify for an MLT at ATU, students are required to complete 3 years of full-time course work in Hematology, Serology, Immunology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, Clinical Chemistry, Pharmacology and Histopathology. After completion of the 3 year program, students are assigned to a regional hospital laboratory to complete a fixed period of supervised work. After successful completion of the supervised internship, ATU certifies the successful candidate as an MLT.
The undergraduate public health program at ATU is designed to address preventable diseases morbidity and mortality. In Somaliland and other regional areas, poor health care infrastructure and often unsound public policy are major impediments to preventive programs that could have profound impact on human health. In light of this, there are major initiatives including efforts to reverse the HIV/AIDS epidemic, fight Malaria, reverse the re-emergence of TB as a major disease in many parts of the world, notable in our region, and establish sensible antibiotic use policies.
- The above major initiative, which are likely to continue for many decades, are increasing the demand for young people proficient in Public Health. Many national and international NGOs as well as government agencies are now constantly looking for talent in this field so much so that a discipline which was originally mostly a post-graduate level, has now become an underground program as well giving the number of programs that are being put in place
- ATU’s Public Health Program is a multi-disciplinary program, which combines courses in the basic and medical sciences, as well as information and database management, biostatistics, public health ethics, disease prevention (communicable and non-communicable) and basic clinical practice. The program is designed for the student desiring a career with governmental health departments, national and international NGOs or United Nations and other multi-lateral agencies.
Mental Health Nursing
- Our BSc in Mental Health Nursing is designed to equip students with the knowledge and competence to understand the experiences of people with mental health problems and to assist and facilitate their journey to recovery. The course builds on knowledge of mental health, various disorders and innovative nursing care approaches. It allows development of your skills in practice settings working with real professionals in real settings with real service users under supervision with a good level of support.
- This course can be expected to provide an excellent foundation for work in numerous healthcare contexts and for further professional development in clinical practice, education, management and research. Our mental health nursing graduates have developed successful careers in both hospital and community settings. Many of our graduates leave university with a firm offer of employment. After a period of consolidation and further study, you can also work as a specialist practitioner in the community in areas such as community mental health nursing. Acute care also offers a range of roles, for example caring for people needing crisis intervention. Successful completion of the course will enable you to access further academic study at masters and doctoral level.
Department of Entrepreneurship
- The entrepreneurship major prepares students for the intricacies of planning, launching and leading a new business with a focus on creativity and innovation, new venture planning, entrepreneurial finance and managing and growing a new business. The curriculum is designed around two themes: screening and recognizing opportunities to create value, and personal innovation despite scarce organizational resources.
- Our immersive 3-year program in Startup Entrepreneurship offers essential startup skills, exposure to industry experts, a network of like-minded entrepreneurs, and mentorship from experienced founders and investors
- Graduates are expected to start new businesses, buy into existing ventures, or go on to entrepreneurial positions in profit and not-for-profit ventures around the world. Other career options are intrapreneurship (innovation in large organizations), venture capital, and social entrepreneurship.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- The Bachelor’s Degree in Law program at our university provides students with a comprehensive education in the fundamentals of law and legal systems. This program is designed to prepare students for a career in the legal profession by providing them with a strong foundation in legal theory, legal research, and legal writing.
- Students will be exposed to a wide range of legal topics, including constitutional law, criminal law, contract law, tort law, and more. They will also develop practical skills in legal research, argumentation, and legal writing, which are essential for success in the legal profession. In addition to the theoretical coursework, students will also have the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships and other experiential learning opportunities. This will give students the chance to apply their knowledge in real-world situations and develop the skills necessary to succeed in the legal profession.
- Graduates of the Bachelor’s Degree in Law program will be well-prepared to pursue a variety of careers in the legal profession, including positions in law firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. They will also be equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in graduate-level studies in law, should they choose to pursue further education.
Bachelor of Arts in Human Resource Management
- The Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management program at our university provides students with a comprehensive education in the principles and practices of managing human resources in today’s complex and dynamic organizations. This program is designed to prepare students for a career in the field of human resource management by providing them with a strong foundation in a variety of HR-related topics.
- Through coursework that covers topics such as recruitment, training and development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, and more, students will gain a deep understanding of the key principles and practices of human resource management. They will also develop practical skills in communication, leadership, and problem-solving, which are essential for success in the field of HR.
- Graduates of the Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management program will be well-prepared to pursue a variety of careers in the field of HR, including positions in HR departments in various organizations, consulting firms specializing in HR, and more. They will also be equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in graduate-level studies in HR, should they choose to pursue further education.
BSc in Software Engineering
- This three-year programme will give students the knowledge, skills and practical experience they will need for a successful career in software, as a developer, an engineer or an entrepreneur. Students will learn from software professionals and leading academics in the field to apply engineering principles to the design, development, implementation and maintenance of all kinds of software. Developed in consultation with industry, our curriculum covers all the key areas that employers look for.
- Students will be expected to gain a solid grounding in the fundamentals of computing and application development, from programming to software engineering, databases to web development, computer graphics to robotics, and the latest trends in information security.
- Graduates from this degree will find excellent career opportunities in various companies, from large multinationals, such as Telesom, SOMCABLE and Dahabshiil to small and medium-sized companies. Graduates from this degree can also move into project management in the IT sector.
Department of International Relations and Development
- This is a unique and interdisciplinary program that combines several academic disciplines into a varied and fascinating study of global politics and community development. Our program is based on a set of core Political Science courses and the two concentrations will draw from the fields of Economics; Gender; History; Philosophy; Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies; Sociology; Geography and Globalization. A degree in International Relations and Development Studies provides useful preparation for a wide variety of careers in public service, diplomacy, consulting, international law, and policy analysis.
Bachelor of Accounting and Finance
- The Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and Finance program at our university offers students a comprehensive education in the core principles of accounting and finance. This program is designed to prepare students for a career in the finance industry by providing them with a strong foundation in financial accounting, managerial accounting, financial management, and related topics. Students will learn how to analyze financial statements, make informed financial decisions, and develop financial strategies that support business objectives.
- Graduates of the Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and Finance program will be well-prepared to pursue a variety of careers in the finance industry, including positions in accounting, financial analysis, investment banking, corporate finance, and more. They will also be equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in graduate-level studies in accounting and finance, should they choose to pursue further education.